Jay Harris is Cpt. LoadTest

a .net developers blog on improving user experience of humans and coders
Home | About | Speaking | Contact | Archives | RSS
Filed under: Flash

This just toasted two hours of my morning, and ended with a “Huh. I never would have thought of that!” moment. And whenever I have one of those, I like to toss the problem and the solution up here in the hopes of saving two hours from someone else’s morning, someday.

We have a Scorm course. The course is coded in Flash and heavily relies on FLVs. For one of our client’s sites, we just rebuilt the Staging environment, upgrading to Windows 2003. Ever since the rebuild, this course in question hasn’t worked in the Staging environment. It works fine in Production, but not in Staging. It’s the same code, but it works in once place and not in the other. I hate it when that happens.

Turns out that we didn’t have and needed a MIME for FLVs.

Crack open INetMgr. (These directions are for IIS6)

  1. Right-click the server, and hit ‘Properties’
  2. In the Properties window, click the “MIME Types…” button
  3. In the MIME Types window, click “New…”
  4. Extension: .flv
  5. MIME Type: video/x-flv
  6. OK, OK, OK, you’re done

Thanks to Don DiCicco for finding the solution to this one. He googled up a link to a similar post on this same problem / solution. And thanks to good ol’ JT for posting the original solution, whoever you are.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:09:57 AM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)  #    Comments [1] - Trackback

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:24:00 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
Holy crap… I’m working with SCORM content too. The metadata side of things complete with the ADL Registry… Fun stuff.
Jay Barde
Please login with either your OpenID above, or your details below.
(will show your gravatar icon)
Home page

Comment (HTML not allowed)  

[Captcha]Enter the code shown (prevents robots):

Live Comment Preview